Monday, April 4, 2016

My favorite cover


Best Cover and Readers' Choice Winner
Harper's Bazaar
"Rihanna: Killer Fashion," March
Norman Jean Roy, Photographer
"Navigating celebrity can be like swimming with sharks, but for our March cover star, Rihanna, actually took the plunge, submerging herself in a tank filled with three live, eight-foot predators. Our subscriber cover, an homage to the 40th anniversary of Jaws, played off that idea daringly, as Rihanna was captured by photographer Norman Jean Roy reclining in a Chanel swimsuit between the teeth of a stunt shark while the real ones circled as he shot her. It was a killer moment—and a killer cover, which garnered more than 650 million hits online. Click here for the video evidence."
- See more at: http://www.magazine.org/asme/best-cover-contest-2016-winners-finalists#sthash.QJ7oY30N.dpuf

This is my favorite cover. I think this cover communicates that beauty and fashion are bizarre and come in many different forms, some unexpected. I think it shows how the subject isn't just a celebrity she's a real person that sometimes does crazy things maybe out of her comfort zone which I think happens a lot in fashion. All this cover gives you is a killer visual with very little text besides her name and the magazine name which at least for me makes me want to find out exactly what this crazy image is about or what it symbolizes. I think the cover gives off a dangerous kind of for a lack of a better adjective "jaws" mood like I just see Rihanna siting in a sharks mouth, sharks swimming around her with the jaws theme song playing. Its scary but sort of calming at the same time with the intense blue and wave texture. 



1 comment: