Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Egg challenge

With this first photo I positioned my light overhead to create a very radial shape around the base of the egg. By doing this it almost looks like the egg is sitting on a small plate which I like the look of. I wanted this photo to be really balanced and center oriented, the whole egg is the same color and texture there's no shadow on the actual egg. 
For this photo I moved the light to the left which cast a leading line shadow to the right of the egg. The lighting creates a split line down the egg where half is dark and flat while the other is more textured and slightly blown out oops. The shadow to me creates this illusion of a fun house mirror how the egg is stretched into a new shape. 
For this photo I move the light to the right of the egg and slightly to the back this created a forward leading line. Most of the egg is shadowed with a few highlights on the right side. This made an almost crescent moon shape. The highlight is like a Crater making this an egg moon. Also I know my lighting assistant is in the background but I think her knees frame the egg and provide something extra. 
This lighting creates an almond shape in front of the egg forming a leading line into the picture to the focal point. There is also a ring shape behind the egg almost surrounding it, the merger of the line into the egg provides balance almost like the egg is hanging from a string. For this photo I placed the light to the back and to the right of the egg.
This is my favorite photo of the egg. By putting the light right below my camera, the entire egg is well lit but has a crescent shadow line on its left side. The backwards leading line is a nice exit for the eye after seeing the focal point or egg your eye follows the line. You can see the textures in the floor and the background is dark. Its like dramatic stage lighting like you would see on a performer.


I know were suppose to have the settings but since I did this on my phone I dont really have a way of getting them but I would assume the ISO is about 100-200, shutter speed is around 1/100 or 1/80 and aperture around 9 or 8. White balance would be tungsten or auto and no ev was used.

1 comment:

  1. Your captions are excellent. The different lighting effects on the egg are varied. You might have changed other variables too, but what you did, you did very well. 97

    ReplyDelete